If Jenn-Chen.com was set to music, the soundtrack would be an eternal loop of sad trombones. As you can tell from the lack of posts, my grand plan to blog every weekday failed epically. I couldn’t squeeze out more than two measly posts last week. Two! Pitiful. I’m going to try posting daily again this week, though, and every week thereafter until I get it right. Or until my brain melts. Whichever comes first.
Blogging fails aside, last week was a good one. Unexpectedly busy, but good, with the chief distraction being my new bike. Yes, I got a bike! I’ve always envied the bike crowd here in San Francisco, but was too chicken to try city cycling until recently. After riding around with friends on borrowed bikes, though, I’ve found that riding with cars isn’t that scary, and decided to snap up a bike I’d been eyeing. My new bike is a 3-speed Schwinn commuter (pictured above), and was wildly discounted on it being a 2011 model. My roommate Julie and I named it Schwinny the Pooh. (Runner up: Schwinny Cooper.)
I’ve never owned a “serious bike” — you know, one that your parents didn’t buy for you at Walmart so you can ride around the 10 blocks in your neighborhood — so this weekend was spent studying up on bike anatomy, learning the city streets, and figuring out what equipment I need. I’ve already secured the essentials — a helmet, lock, and lights — and have been making a little list of doodads I want to gradually acquire. Key word being “gradually,” so I don’t break my bank account.
Like I said, I’m very much a newbie still, so please throw any bike recs or advice my way! Anyway, that’s all for now. Maybe we’ll meet again tomorrow?
BIKE: Schwinn 2011 Coffee 3-speed Commuter from City Grounds
1. Billykirk No. 211 Bike Pouch from Billykirk
2. Nixon watch from ASOS, since my iPhone will be tucked away
3. Tsumori Chisato sandals from La Garçonne
4. Bern Lenox in Matte Turquoise from Amazon
5. Unsexy man-briefs-resembling bike shorts from Walmart
6. ABUS 1200 Chain Combo Lock from Public Bikes to better prevent saddle theft
7. Crank Brothers’ Multi-5 Tool from Adeline Adeline
8. Origin-8 brass bell from Adeline Adeline
9. Basil wicker basket from Adeline Adeline for my rear rack